Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lesson of a temporary voice loss

I got a sore throat a few days ago, then I consistently took vitamins and xylitol to fight off whatever thing that tried to start in my body. Well, the sore throat left and I started to lose my voice. I guess between a sore throat and a voice loss, I'd choose no pain any day.
So, though the painlessness did not bother me, I had to whisper most of the time, sound just would not want to come out of me... which brings me to not be able to raise my voice at my children, whether it be "don't climb on that!" or "come over here." were not said but in a whisper in my children's ears.

God is teaching me a valuable lesson through this which He wouldn't be able to otherwise, my words are effective even when they are not spoken loudly. When all you can do is whisper or speak with a horsey voice at best, you come across much gentler and it makes speaking with grace much easier also.

Even when I have to give my children warning before a discipline is necessary, I have to get very close to them and whisper into their ears, "You will get your discipline if this continues." And then a few times, I had to do what I'd promised. Boy, my gentle words whispered became so effective.

I was raised that in order to get someone to listen to you and to get their attention, you must scream. I came from a fairly loud family. They speak loudly and many times louder than someone with a microphone. I have gotten softer-spoken over the years. My sister is worried that I'd get pushed over with that change. Once at a family gathering, my husband wondered what the fight was about, I had to explain, "they are not fighting, that's just the way they talk."

I have prayed for some time that God would teach me to consistently speak with grace and gentleness, especially to my husband and my children (since we do that most of the times with friends and aquaintences). Well, I think I got the lesson.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome and inspiring! Ryan says that I am "the loudest person he's ever met"! Ha ha Being loud and peaceful can seem like vinegar & water, so I daily ask the Lord to help me speak to those I love with a spirit of love and kindness! This is inspirational to constantly remind us to recieve a banner of peace over our homes! The Lord always reminds me of how He spoke in the gentle quietness and not in the clanging thunder! Thank you for the blog fellow loud sister!!;)

    ReplyDelete