Sunday, May 3, 2009

911 call...testing, testing...

Well, here's a funny story for you...

A couple of weeks ago, I was out for a meeting leaving my mother with 2 kids. Mom has experience keeping the kids alone before and it's never been a problem for her.

I called home on my way home that day and asked mom, "Is everything okay? Have the kids been behaving for you?" She replied, "I'll let your son tell you, hold on..." Then Matthew got on the phone hysterically, "Mom, I haven't been good." I asked curiously, "Why? What happened?" He cried, "I called the police." I did not know what to think...what police? why would he do that?

I drew a blank.

Then my mom came back on the phone and said that he'd called 911 and 10 minutes later, 2 policemen showed up to the door. My mom answered the door as both of the kids bolted to their hiding place in one of the rooms. The police asked if everything was alright. (My mom actually speaks English when I am not with her!!!)She said to the police that she thinks that one of the kids had dialed 911 and there was really nothing wrong. The police were understanding and left.

When I got home, I asked Matthew why he called 911, he explained that he'd watched a kids program that day about safety and emergency and they talked about calling 911 for emergency.
He did not do that out of mischief, which gave me comfort.

When his dad came home, he was able to get the "step-by-step" detail from our son. He explained further that as the TV program taught about fire emergency and different safety tips, he remembered that his mom (me)has told him not to believe everything TV tells him. SO... Matthew decided to test it out. Well, he found out that it's true...911 will get the police to come.

He has learned his lesson on when to and when not to make an emergency call this day.

1 comment: